How to Install a Cat Door
Installing a Cat Door in 15 Easy Steps
- Remove the door hinge pins to free the interior door from its upright and hanging position. Note that our kit is compatible with solid and hollow doors.
- Set the door on a couple of sawhorses or a table, leaving the bottom two feet of the door hanging off.
- Using the Kitty Korner Door template, make a light pencil mark on the bottom and side of the door where the cut will start and finish.
- Run a piece of tape diagonally that covers both pencil marks. This piece of tape ensures a smooth cut with no rough edges.
- Lay the template on the door so it is flush with the bottom and side edge and tape it down to secure it.
- Use a circular saw to cut along the cut line.
- Remove all tape and clear the sawdust.
- Place our patented SlideLock™ on the freshly sawed angle and mark the door where the holes line up with the door filler. If your door is solid, you can use any or all of the holes. On a hollow door, typically only 2 or 3 will line up – don’t worry, as you only need two!
- Predrill holes where you marked the door.
- Using the screws provided, secure the SlideLock™ to the door.
- Set the section of the door you cut off in step 6 on top of the door, positioned such that the two sawed edges are flush with one another.
- Flip the SlideLock™ up and mark the locations where the holes align with the door filler. The solid/hollow door information from step 8 applies here, as well.
- Using the screws provided, secure the sliding mechanism to what is now your cat door.
- Put the door back in its rightful location and reinsert the door hinge pins.
- Lock the DIY cat door in the up position and watch your feline friends explore. Warning: your canine may not be too happy with this new development…
So, there it is: how to install the best cat door on the market in 15 easy steps. But you know what? Just watch the video – it explains the process visually in a way that can never be duplicated with words. As the old saying goes, a picture (or in this case, a video, is worth a thousand words).
Oh, and if you’re looking for gift ideas, check out one of our previous blogs on finding the “purrfect” gift for cats and cat lovers.